Ford F-150 vs. Chevy Silverado: A Strength Comparison
Ever since Ford made waves with their all-new aluminum bodied F-150 pickup in 2015, the discussion over which brand offers the toughest and most all-around capable truck has reignited. Ford has said that the “F-150’s high-strength, military grade, aluminum alloy cargo box offers the best combination of strength, durability, corrosion resistance, capability, safety and fuel efficiency ever offered in a pickup,” and the sales number seem to show that drivers in Morris, IL agree. But you’ve likely seen the recent rebuttal from Chevy.
So who is right? Let’s take a look at the facts.
F-150 vs. Chevy Silverado: Performance
Pickups are immensely popular not just because they offer the best capability of any body style of vehicle, but because they can be configured near endlessly to provide a cab size, bed size, and engine customized to the needs of the driver. And because there are many different reasons why drivers in Morris, IL would need a pickup, from their profession to personal projects to towing a trailer or another vehicle, adaptability is a necessity.
So what does that mean for Morris, IL area drivers deciding between the aluminum bed 2016 Ford F-150, and the steel bed 2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500?
Say you need a V8 engine. The F-150 engine outperforms the similarly sized version in the Silverado 1500.
|Ford F-150 5.0L V8||VS.||Chevy Silverado 5.3L V8|
|383 HP||Horsepower||355 HP|
|387 lb.-ft.||Torque||383 lb.-ft.|
|3,270 lbs.||Payload||2,250 lbs.|
If a V6 engine is sufficient for your particular needs, then you’ll definitely be pleased to know that the F-150 blasts the Chevrolet pickup out of the water in towing power.
|Ford F-150 3.5L EcoBoost® V6||VS.||Chevy Silverado 4.3L V6|
|365 HP||Horsepower||285 HP|
|420 lb.-ft.||Torque||305 lb.-ft.|
|12,200 lbs.||Towing||7,600 lbs.|
Aluminum vs. Steel
Chevrolet’s most recent ad campaign is intended to highlight the supposed superiority of the Chevrolet Silverado 1500’s steel bed with a test of dumping rocks into an unprotected bed.
The reality is that any Ford F-150 driver using his or her pickup truck for frequent transport of heavy and otherwise cosmetically unfriendly materials will likely use a bed liner, whether a factory-installed spray-in liner or an aftermarket dealer- or owner-installed bed liner, making any dents or damage negligible.
Additionally, the Ford F-150 comes with several available cargo features including:
- Class-exclusive remote tailgate release for easy loading and unloading
- Deployable box steps
- Class-exclusive integrated tailgate step with lift assist
- Stowable loading ramps
- LED box lights
- Class-exclusive BoxLink™ configurable cargo management system ft. structurally reinforced box sides with tie-down points, four lockable and removable cleats, and four interface places for Ford and aftermarket accessories
The Superior Interior of the Ford F-150
Now that we’ve settled the issue of which pickup provides the best performance and strength in favor of the Ford F-150, let’s move on to another important factor our pickup customers consider when picking out a new truck. When you spend a lot of time there, the cabin of your pickup must be comfortable and accommodating.
- SuperCrew® Ford F-150 models come with a fully flat loading floor
- Upper trim F-150 models include luxury touches not found on the Silverado, including wood accents, and are available with heated and cooled leather seats
- Opt for a 110-volt/400-watt power inverter to power a floodlight or power tool, only in the Ford F-150
- The SYNC® 3 infotainment system, available in the F-150, provides better features and quicker responses than the infotainment system in the Silverado 1500
Schedule Your Ford F-150 Test Drive Today
If you are considering purchasing a new pickup, stop into our Ford dealership in Morris, IL. Our product specialists would love to spend some time with you discussing the various features, configurations, and capabilities of the new Ford F-150 pickup. Before you visit, take a few moments to schedule a test drive, and we’ll have an F-150 ready and waiting for you when you arrive.